The contents of this website are my own and do not reflect the position of any organizations with which I am currently affiliated.


Sunday, July 11, 2010

Kilulu Ju! Kilulu Ju! Kilulu Safi!

Greetings from Kilulu a small village outside of Muheza (Tanga Region). I have been staying with the Mkumbo family for almost a month and I love them! I feel so blessed to be here... where else would I be???

Dada Hawa (Sister Hawa) went back to school last week and won't come home again until December. I hope the family and I can plan a trip to see her before I move to my post. (I need to hear her say "How you Doin'?" like Wendy Williams just one more time!) Kaka Ally (Brother Ally) wears a Scooby Doo T-shirt and I love saying "Scooby Doobie Doo!" to him. The whole family gets in on it... but then it turns into "Roobie roobie zoo!"

Most of my fellow PCT's purchased phones last week. I'm waiting to find a solar charged phone and hope to get one tomorrow. I look forward to being able to say hello to my friends and family in the US.

My Kiswahili midterm is coming up on Friday. I have a lot to prepare for the oral and written exam. After the exam the whole group will travel to the beach for our first weekend off- much needed R & R!

This Tuesday my small group (Rebecca, Paul, Cameron, Steven and myself) in Kilulu will plant a permagarden at the primary school. We hope to have the childern from the school help us and take ownership of the garden as a income generating activity. I can't wait to practice using my Jembe(a local tool used to hoe) Everyone in town gets a kick out of me swinging my Jembe... well they laugh at everything I do.

I LOVE lost in translation moments! Last week someone yelled out from a passing an orange truck, "External people, How are you?!" I could laugh about this for weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment